FHN is a great place to work, and we're not the only ones who think so.
Over the past few years FHN has received much recognition from sources outside the FHN family that has honored FHN as an excellent employer. This recognition testifies to the culture we have created our values, our respect for each other, and the dignity and compassionate treatment we give to each other, and those we serve.
- 2008 VHA Leadership Award for Clinical Excellence in cardiac care In May 2008, FHN was one of just 16 VHA member hospitals nationwide to receive this award for excellence in treating heart attack patients. VHA, Inc., a healthcare provider alliance of more than 2,400 not-for-profit healthcare organizations, honored FHN at its annual Leadership Conference in Philadelphia May 4.
- 100 Top Hospitals® by Thomson Healthcare In March 2008, FHN was named one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals by Thomson Healthcare, a leading provider of information and solutions to improve the cost and quality of healthcare. The award recognizes hospitals that have achieved excellence in clinical outcomes, patient safety, financial performance and efficiency. Read about how FHN was chosen for this award and what it means for our community.
- Employer of Choice In September 2007, FHN was recognized as an Employer of Choice by a nationally recognized workforce consulting group, Employer of Choice, Inc.
- Illinois Employer of the Year In November 2006, FHN was recognized by the Illinois Employers' Association as its inaugural Employer of the Year. The award recognizes employers for efforts in making their organization a great place to work.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Leadership Award In October 2006, the human resources department of FHN was named a finalist in the first-annual Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Leadership Awards, joining an elite group of 12 finalists in 4 categories from across the globe. FHN was one of three finalists in the Competitive Workforce Award category, which acknowledges HR departments that recognize and successfully respond to key workforce trends and needs, impacting their organizations' long-term business objectives.
- AHA In the June 2004 publication Workforce Ideas in Action 4, FHN's success in workforce partnerships and fostering meaningful work were presented in case examples.
- AARP In September 2003, FHN was nationally recognized by AARP as one of the best employers for workers over 50 years of age.
- Working Mothers Magazine In 2000, FHN was recognized as one of the 100 best companies in America for working mothers.
- Mercer/Bright Horizons This 1998 study of work/life initiatives resulted in FHN being placed in the top 5% of companies nationally for our work/life programs and policies.
- Multi-Skilled Health Care Workers In this 1998 book, authored by Sherry Makley, PhD, she identified successful approaches to cross training and development of multi-skilled staff used by FHN.
- Lincoln Award for Business Excellence 1998 Level II honoring FHN's ongoing commitment to improvement. Companies that receive the award are honored for their work on a continuous journey to performance excellence.
- Retention Management In 1997, this publication was produced by the American Management Association and the Saratoga Institute. The publication identified key retention strategies, practices and trends used in businesses. The sole, in-depth, case example used in this report as a model for recruitment and retention management featured FHN.